Tuesday 6 August 2019

See the different reactions from the general public when they see you with the NYSC khaki

Despite the poor finishing of the NYSC khaki, wearing it has always been a thing of pride for corps members even though some of us act as if we don't enjoy the attention that comes with it.

  • The kind of attention that comes with wearing the NYSC khaki are in two ways, while you get admired by the younger generation who aspires for higher academic learning so that they too can also, one day put on the brilliant NYSC khaki and enjoy the privileges that comes with it, to pride themselves as a Federal government son/daughter and explore new environment.




The reaction from the older generation seems to be indifferent which comes with pity and remorse, accompanied with so many elderly advice from them.

it seems to be a medium of venting their frustration concerning the abysmal situation of things in the country.

I have experienced this in sundry occasions, especially when I board a taxi or get into a public bus, or when i'm in a public gathering wearing complete 7/7 and the least of them all is when I'm on a motorcycle.

The conversation will alway start like this, corper corper how are you, my reply is always fine knowing their  next line of conversation.

It seems you are new in Kaduna state, my reply; yes.

Then you will hear things like; try o corper because in this country there's no sure job for graduates after service anymore except you have the connect else you just have to hustle.

Next thing you will hear is that, ..see me now I'm a graduate of so so University and I served back then in 2007 after the long search of job with no positive outcome I have start hustling on my own.

My last encounter was with a motorcyclists who told me he served in 2010 and after then he has been in search of a job.

He said that the only one he got was a teaching job of 20k per month and after working for years he finds out he was still struggling financially, he had to quit the job which resulted him becoming a motorcyclists and the honest truth is that he's more financially stable than before.




From his story, he told me he makes at least 3000 naira a day and most importantly he has the control of his time.

So far these mixed reaction gotten from the society as a corps member has made me very uncomfortable with putting the NYSC khaki on.

From all my different encounter with people, so far, I was able to deduce that there are so many Nigerian living in regrets of being a graduate, they believe that they should have spent their time in learning a skill or a business to be an entrepreneur rather than going to school when there's no guarantee of a good job.

So, my little advice for  my fellow corp members serving the Nation Nigeria, which ever state you find yourself, please it's salient you learn a skill or attempt any business plan that suit you in other to avert post NYSC trauma because life after NYSC can be really frustrating especially when you have nothing doing.

                             Written by;
                                 Godwin Armstrong

No comments:

Featured post

See the different reactions from the general public when they see you with the NYSC khaki

Despite the poor finishing of the NYSC khaki, wearing it has always been a thing of pride for corps members even though some of us act as i...